Flexibility, comforts of home, nurturing relationships… that’s what our Home Based Early Learning is all about.
Your child will thrive as secure attachments blossom between them, their dedicated educator and the small group of children they share their days with.
Our experienced educators care for a maximum of four children at any time. So, your child will be cared for in a comfortable and comforting environment with quiet spaces and room to explore – both indoors and out. Perfect for Kiwi kids.
Why choose home based early learning?
- Flexibility for your child and family
- Care in an environment that’s like your home
- Nurturing relationships with their educator and other children
- Connection to the community with regular outings
- Quality education guided by Te Whāriki - NZ’s Early Childhood Curriculum –with progress updates on your child’s learning via the online platform – Storypark
More about home based
Flexibility for families
Home Based Early Learning offers excellent flexibility for the whole family. For children, care in a home setting, with one educator and a familiar, small group of friends, feels like an extension of their own house and day-to-day life.
For parents, extended hours to suit shift work or ‘part day’ care is available from some educators. Plus, you’ll find your educator becomes part of the family – a trusted friend who may be able to offer extra hours, and other care support if needed.
"It works very well for our family as our educator is far more flexible offering longer hours and extra days when we need them"
Julia, Parent l Auckland
Quality early learning
There are nearly 300 Home Based educators across NZ/Aotearoa. Each one is passionate about providing a loving and safe space for your child’s early learning.
Home Based educators deliver a comprehensive program of early learning experiences – guided by Te Whariki – and supported by monthly visits from a Barnardos Visiting Teacher.
"We love our educator. Love the philosophy and the support we receive. We enjoy the personal connection and attention we recieve (more like family)
Natalie, Parent l Auckland
Alongside a routine like your child is used to at home, Home Based Early Learning offers a unique opportunity for community connection. Adventures to local parks and community facilities such as libraries and playgroups are just some of the activities your child will enjoy.
About our Barnardos educators
Our educators all have a few things in common – they’re nurturing, enthusiastic, experienced individuals who share a passion for raising the next generation of Kiwi kids.
- Experienced - They might be parents themselves, have a background in teaching or an interest in helping their local community. To them, this is a career, not just a job. So, your child will benefit from their focus, commitment and energy.
- Educated - Our educators are encouraged to enrol in the Level 4 Certificate in Early Childhood Practice. In-house learning modules and continued professional development are also offered. Attracting and retaining high quality educators is important to us.
- Reliable and trustworthy - The safety and wellbeing of your child is always our highest priority.
Choosing quality educators
Barnardos Home Based educators are carefully vetted through a comprehensive selection criteria, interview and reference checking processes and include an in-depth, induction program.
All our educators are required to:
- hold a clear Police and Children’s Worker Safety check. All members of the educator’s household (17yrs+) also need a clear Police check
- hold a current First Aid certificate (renewing every 2 years)
- welcome regular (minimum monthly) scheduled and unscheduled visits from a Barnardos Visiting Teacher
- have their homes thoroughly checked during Visiting Teacher visits
- attend all initial induction and training sessions and attend ongoing compulsory training. This is required to meet the conditions of maintaining their Barnardos Home Based educator status (which we call a Practice Certificate), and to adhere to the Ministry of Education Service regulations and licensing criteria
- always adhere to the Barnardos Early Learning policies, procedures and guidelines. Copies of individual policies are available from your educator or by contacting us.
Get to know your local Home Based educators.
"Flexible, excellent care and education for my kids, convenience and reasonable cost"
Joanna l Wellington
Find a location near you
Is Home Based Early Learning the right choice for your family?