Become a Home Based Educator
A Home Based Educator is someone who cares for 1–4 children in their own home. They provide a nurturing care environment while also stimulating individual children’s learning and curiosity.
Join and receive a $250 voucher and a $100 voucher per child starting care t&c apply: Learn more
Flexible hours. Work from home. Choose your hourly rate
What Barnardos Early Learning Provides:
As a Home Based educator, you will be supported by other passionate and professional people, resources and opportunities. Enjoy up to $3,500 of benefits in your first year including:
We support our educators to learn and succeed by providing at no cost:
- free health and safety training
- free regular visits and on tap phone support from a qualified early childhood teacher
- free educational induction, training, including Level 4 Certificate in Early Learning
- free on going professional development through annual conferences
- free educational resources and equipment for your home
- free access to playgroups and/or community excursions
- free access to Storypark and other online tools
- free marketing support
As a Home Based Educator, your day might involve:
The children in your care will love you for giving them a home-away-from-home and wonderful learning experiences. Barnardos Visiting Teachers will support you to weave together a curriculum (your whāriki) within your home using Te Whāriki - the NZ Early Childhood Curriculum. You will be supported to develop the skills needed to ensure children are able to confidently and competently move into their next learning environments. Activity may include excursions, connections with the community and local outings, and developing confident and competent learners.
We’d love you to join us as a Home Based Educator if you have:
- A desire to nurture, inspire and support children's growth.
- An aspiration to learn about, recognise and create teachable moments.
- Experience with children.
- A home and personal background that meet our robust health and safety requirements.
- A commitment to lifelong learning for yourself and the children you will work with.
- The ability to connect with parents as partners in their child’s learning.
Please note: only applicants that have New Zealand Residency will be considered.